My Story (or at least some of it)

I am a daughter, sister, wife, mother and friend. Above all of this I am a true believer and follower of Jesus Christ.

Although, it didn't always used to be this way.

When I was younger I was wreckless and rebellious. I was a deliquent and did many, many things I was not supposed to do. I was very manipulative and had many different faces. I drank and did drugs and witnessed many different things a young person should never have to see. I did believe in God but truly thought He had given up on me and therefore I did not like or respect Him.

Little did I know He had a plan for me.

One day, while drinking myself silly on my balcony with some friends, I heard an inner voice ask me "What the hell are you doing? You deserve so much better than this!" (I believe in treatment they call that a moment of clarity. ) Of course it didn't stop me from drinking that night but it did start a chain reaction of events that lead me to where I am today.

I did check myself into treatment not long after that event and I have been sober every since. That was on March 3, 2000.

Since that time I have graduated from college with a B.S. in Geography specializing in cultures. I have found the love of my life, Jeff, and we got married on May 27, 2006. Very soon after that we got pregnant (surprise!) and we had Gracie on March 17, 2007. We moved to SC in June of 2007 and we had our son, Donovan, on February 10, 2010.

I have been blessed in so many ways. I have the love of a good man, 2 beautiful children, the support and love of a wonderful family and amazing friendships that have lasted through good and bad. I know that God has a purpose for my life and I am so grateful that He has given me a second chance at living.

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Books and Patience

I, for the longest time, was not a reader. I didn't like to read. In fact, most of the time when I read a book it made me feel dumb and slow. My mind would always wonder and the books could not keep my attention.
As an adult I have come to enjoy reading a little bit more. Probably because I get to pick what I want to read now. The problem I have now is the time to read. But I am learning to manage my time for me a little bit better.
I just finished (today in fact) a book my cousin gave to me called 'Redeeming Love' by Francis Rivers. This is an amazing book. It is a christian/inspirational love story about a girl who overcomes her horrid past and how God's love and grace can truly be forgiving. The book is based off of the story of Hosea and Gomer in the bible.
When I first started reading this book I really didn't want to go any further than the prologue. It was very depressing and sad to read about this little girl and all the pain she was going through. I contacted my cousin and asked why on earth she would give me such a horrible book. She told me to just keep reading and I did. And I am so glad I did.
I can relate so much to this woman in the book. Granted my childhood was no where near the tragedy of hers but many things that happened to her has also happened to me. So I completely understand her emotions and anger and her desire to keep them tucked away inside.
The ending of the book, however, is what really hit home with me today.
If you have been reading my blog you know that I have been trying to realize what I am supposed to be doing with my life. Which direction should I take.
At the end of the book this woman is based with the same problem. Not knowing where to go, she finally turns to God. (Which my previous blog explains how I just did the same thing.) And then she was patient and waited for an answer. And God presented the opportunity.
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10
I don't know why but it just hit me after reading this book. I swear it was like he whispered that in my ear right when I closed the book.
So I made the decision to give into Him and be patient. (Oh my mother would be thrilled!) I realize there are probably many things that have to fall into places in order for God to present me my opportunity. And just like everything else, those things take time.
So thank you to my sweet cousin for passing this book along to me. You knew more than I how much I needed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment