My Story (or at least some of it)

I am a daughter, sister, wife, mother and friend. Above all of this I am a true believer and follower of Jesus Christ.

Although, it didn't always used to be this way.

When I was younger I was wreckless and rebellious. I was a deliquent and did many, many things I was not supposed to do. I was very manipulative and had many different faces. I drank and did drugs and witnessed many different things a young person should never have to see. I did believe in God but truly thought He had given up on me and therefore I did not like or respect Him.

Little did I know He had a plan for me.

One day, while drinking myself silly on my balcony with some friends, I heard an inner voice ask me "What the hell are you doing? You deserve so much better than this!" (I believe in treatment they call that a moment of clarity. ) Of course it didn't stop me from drinking that night but it did start a chain reaction of events that lead me to where I am today.

I did check myself into treatment not long after that event and I have been sober every since. That was on March 3, 2000.

Since that time I have graduated from college with a B.S. in Geography specializing in cultures. I have found the love of my life, Jeff, and we got married on May 27, 2006. Very soon after that we got pregnant (surprise!) and we had Gracie on March 17, 2007. We moved to SC in June of 2007 and we had our son, Donovan, on February 10, 2010.

I have been blessed in so many ways. I have the love of a good man, 2 beautiful children, the support and love of a wonderful family and amazing friendships that have lasted through good and bad. I know that God has a purpose for my life and I am so grateful that He has given me a second chance at living.

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Thanksgiving

Lately I have had so many people ask me about my Thanksgiving menu.
"Do you have any creative ideas for Thanksgiving?"
"Is there a special glaze you use for the turkey?"
"What is a simple side dish I can put together fast?"
"I want to do traditional, yet creative..can you help?"

These are just a few of the questions I have heard over that last week. So I will post my Thanksgiving menu and if there is anything you would like the recipe to please just message me or email me. I am always happy to share.
However, I will tell you that my mom does most of the cooking. With my 2 little ones, it makes it difficult for me to cook the entire Thanksgiving meal myself. But that's one thing Thanksgiving is all about anyway, spending time with family.
So here is what we are having!

Turkey (of course): The turkey will be baked in the oven and basted. My mom usually handles this but if you have any questions just let me know.

Mashed potatoes with leeks served with brown turkey gravy. (The gravy will be made from turkey drippings from the oven)

Sweet potato casserole with puree brown butter and orange zest (This is a dish that was shared with us last year from Sabrina Dickson and it is absolutely delicious!)

Classic green bean casserole

Roasted brussel sprouts with garlic and thyme

Buttered rolls

Cranberry medley

Oyster or Sausage stuffing (This is something my mom makes but I am sure she would be happy to share the recipe)

And of course pies:
Pumpkin, Pecan, Banana Pudding, and Blueberry

There are several dishes we have made in the past that we are not making this year.
Corn casserole
Espresso Creme Brulee
Roasted potatoes and onions with garlic and rosemary
Pumpkin or Butternut Squash soup

We also prepare a few appetizers for people to snack on since we normally don't eat until around 230 or 3. So we have a relish dish out with olives, pickles and peppers. A meat and cheese tray is usually present and probably some deviled eggs. There are 2 different types of deviled eggs I make (and I am not including classic deviled eggs). I make Smoked salmon deviled eggs and I make loaded deviled eggs. Both are a huge success!

I hope some of this helps and I am flattered that people have come to me about their cooking needs.
I wish everyone a very Happy Thanksgiving and I am looking forward to this holiday season. May God be with you!

No comments:

Post a Comment