My Story (or at least some of it)

I am a daughter, sister, wife, mother and friend. Above all of this I am a true believer and follower of Jesus Christ.

Although, it didn't always used to be this way.

When I was younger I was wreckless and rebellious. I was a deliquent and did many, many things I was not supposed to do. I was very manipulative and had many different faces. I drank and did drugs and witnessed many different things a young person should never have to see. I did believe in God but truly thought He had given up on me and therefore I did not like or respect Him.

Little did I know He had a plan for me.

One day, while drinking myself silly on my balcony with some friends, I heard an inner voice ask me "What the hell are you doing? You deserve so much better than this!" (I believe in treatment they call that a moment of clarity. ) Of course it didn't stop me from drinking that night but it did start a chain reaction of events that lead me to where I am today.

I did check myself into treatment not long after that event and I have been sober every since. That was on March 3, 2000.

Since that time I have graduated from college with a B.S. in Geography specializing in cultures. I have found the love of my life, Jeff, and we got married on May 27, 2006. Very soon after that we got pregnant (surprise!) and we had Gracie on March 17, 2007. We moved to SC in June of 2007 and we had our son, Donovan, on February 10, 2010.

I have been blessed in so many ways. I have the love of a good man, 2 beautiful children, the support and love of a wonderful family and amazing friendships that have lasted through good and bad. I know that God has a purpose for my life and I am so grateful that He has given me a second chance at living.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Celebrate Recovery

So next week (Sept 30th) our church will be launching a new ministry called Celebrate Recovery. We will be meeting at the Quest facilities every thursday night starting at 7pm. I will be helping lead the group in this ministry and I am so excited about this. This is a great way to show people how God truly does love us all, even though we are broken. He loves us, even though we sin. He loves us through all of our hurts, hang ups, and habits.
I know there is a reason I went through some of the pains and disappointments. I know there is a reason God kept me on this earth and saved me from death. I do not fully understand the reasoning and I am still learning to know my true purpose for why I am still here.
But I do know that I can use my past events and struggles to help someone with theirs today. I know that I didn't go through what I did so that it could just be brushed aside and never spoken of or thought about again. But they can be used as a tool to show God's awesome love and grace.

Father I thank you so much for the many blessings that I have in my life. There were so many times You could have given up on me and You did not. I am so thankful for that.
I am so grateful for this opportunity in being a leader for this upcoming ministry and for being at a place in my life where I can be a leader.
I pray that people will be open to this new ministry. I hope that when they come in they will be willing to let the walls down. May they open their ears and hearts. May they feel a sense of welcome and community.
I pray that we can be open enough to allow You to work and speak through us. I hope that we can say the words someone needs to hear and be the example that someone needs to see.
Please give us the strength and courage to be honest and open with the people that will be coming into this ministry. Help us to all understand that this will be a time of celebrating each other and the love that You have for us; regardless of our flaws and imperfections.

No comments:

Post a Comment